"Improving our public schools is essential to our children's future and our state's economic future. To better compete in a tough global economy, we must put in place education policies that foster high standards and excellence. Anything less, we fall further behind."
All the Candidates are Talking About Education
Only Heather Tow-Yick brings real knowledge and expertise about how to make our schools better.
As our State Representative, Heather will put her hands-on, real world education experience to work for us.
- Fight to ensure state education policies are based on proven best practices
- Insist on high standards for teachers and students
- Work for accelerating the implementation of the school funding formula, which would mean $30 million more dollars annually for Providence schools
- Support universal pre-kindergarten and other early childhood education programs that ensure our children begin kindergarten ready to learn and succeed
Education Qualifications that Count:
- Executive Director, Teach for America - Rhode Island; brought 150 new teachers to Rhode Island
- Special Assistant to the Chancellor of the New York City Department of Education: part of a team that improved public education for 1 million school children
- Middle school classroom teacher at a public school in the Bronx
- Master of Arts Degree, Columbia University Teachers College
"There is simply no excuse for Rhode Island having one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. We must stop throwing away our money on bad bets like 38 Studios. It is time to build on our strengths, investing in upgrading our workforce, fostering homegrown Rhode Island businesses and modernizing our infrastructure."
As our State Representative, Heather will fight for solutions that work to fix our economy and create good paying jobs.
- Upgrade our workforce through custom job training and improved over-all skills training
- Promote targeted assistance for homegrown small businesses and new entrepreneurs -- the sectors of the economy where more than 60% of new jobs are created
- Boost our growing renewable energy industry, including wind and solar, to create good jobs and reduce climate change
- Work to increase the minimum wage and ensure pay equality for women
- Fight to improve public education -- the long-term key to a strong state economy
- Support funding for repairing and modernizing infrastructure -- one of the key building blocks of economic growth
"To move Rhode Island forward, we must put an end to the pervasive political corruption that holds us back. It breaks the public trust and harms our national reputation, making it more difficult to persuade businesses to locate here. I will fight hard for a more open and transparent state government and General Assembly, saying no to the insider deals that have cost our state so much."
As our State Representative, Heather Tow-Yick will stand up for the reforms we need:
- Fight to restore Ethics Commission oversight to the General Assembly
- Work for openness and transparency in state economic development decisions to prevent debacles like 38 Studios from ever happening again
- Put forward legislation banning private business arrangements between lobbyists and elected officials, including loans
- Provide vigilant oversight of 195 land development decisions to make the most of this major opportunity by ensuring over-all economic benefit and the public interest are front and center -- not rewarding political insiders